A listing of venues in which the Gabii Project and its research have been represented.
Presentations in 2013:
- Rachel Opitz (CAST-U of Arkansas), Nicola Terrenato (University of Michigan), Anna Gallone (The Gabii Project) and Marcello Mogetta (University of Michigan), "Translating Digital Practice: From Collection to Interpretation", scheduled to appear on April 4 in the symposium Digital Transitions: Technologies for Archaeological Fieldwork, Publishing and Community Engagement, at the 78th Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology (Honolulu, Hawaii).
- Nicola Terrenato (University of Michigan), "Embriology of Central Italian Cities: Recent Insights from Gabii and Rome", at the Archeological Institute of America, 114th Annual Meeting (Seattle, WA). The talk is scheduled for Saturday, January 5th at 3:20 PM, as part of the President's Plenary Session : The Ancient City.
- Rachel Opitz (CAST-U of Arkansas), "Going Big. Data management strategies for the large scale excavations at Gabii (Italy)". At Redford Conference in Archaeology : Taking Archaeology Digital (University of Puget Sound, 25-28 October 2012). Opitz's talk is scheduled to appear in a panel on "Paperless Recording and Data Management" (October 27).
- Jason Farr (Ph.D. candidate, IPCAA, University of Michigan), "Lapis Gabinus: new evidence for quarrying at Gabii". At 9.00am on May 23, 2012, at ASMOSIA X (Association for the Study of Marble and Other Stones In Antiquity), tenth international conference, Rome, 21-26 May 2012. Farr's talk is scheduled to appear in "THEMATIC SESSION III: Provenance identification II: (other stones)".
- Chiara Pilo "Una lucerna configurata da Gabii: valenze apotropaiche di un singolare strumento per l’illuminazione" at "Ricerca in Cittadella", Giornate di studio di Archeologia e Storia dell’Arte dedicate a Roberto Coroneo, in Cagliari, Sardinia, at the Cittadella dei Musei, Villa Pollini, May 9, 2012.
- Kristina Killgrove (UNC-Chapel Hill) will present a poster "Paleopathology and urban decline at Imperial Gabii (Italy)" at the 81st meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists to be held in Portland, Oregon, April 11-14, 2012. Checkout the program for more information.
- Laura Banducci (Ph.D. candidate, IPCAA, University of Michigan) and Jason Farr (Ph.D. candidate, IPCAA, University of Michigan), "Coils over Spoil – Metal detecting and archaeological interpretation at Gabii", poster presentation at 22nd Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference (TRAC), Frankfurt am Main, Germany, 30 March, 5.30 to 7pm.
- Anna Gallone, Jeffrey Becker, and Marcello Mogetta. “Gabii in età repubblicana: i rivestimenti pavimentali di alcune unità abitative,” at AISCOM 18, Cremona, Italy. March 14-17, 2012.
- Nicola Terrenato. "The Gabii Project Excavation in Central Italy: the Mystery of the "Lead Burrito"." University of Manitoba, University College 237, Winnipeg, MB, Canada. Sunday, February 12, 2012, at 3:00pm.
- Archaeological Institute of America, 113th meeting, Philadelphia, Pa. January 5-8.
- Colloquium session 2G (Comparative urbanism in the ancient Mediterranean world), Friday, January 6, 2012, 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM. Organized by Jeffrey A. Becker and Jamie Sewell, will include Becker "Storied pasts? Archaic and Republican Urbanism Compared", Marcello Mogetta "Urban Villages: Comparing Iron Age Settlement Structure in Greece and Italy" and discussion offered and moderated by Nicola Terrenato.
- AIA Poster session 2J. Friday, January 6, 2012, 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM. Rachel Opitz, Anna Gallone, Marcello Mogetta, and Nicola Terrenato. "The Gabii Project: the 2011 season".
- Paper session 7B (Roman Funerary Images and Ritual) Sunday, January 8, 2012, 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM: Anna Gallone. "The Use of Lead in Central Italian Funerary Contexts: The New Evidence from Gabii."
Presentations in 2011:
- Jeffrey A. Becker (UNC-CH). "The Gabii Project 2009-2011: preliminary conclusions and new directions." Department of Classics, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. November 2, 2011.
- Nicola Terrenato (Michigan). "The Gabii Project: Recent discoveries and perspectives." At Koninklijk Nederlands Instituut Rome. July 8, 2011.
- Jessica Nowlin (Brown University). "More Than Pretty Pictures: The Use of Three-Dimensional Photo Modeling in the Documentation of Funerary Remains." At Death, Decay, and Discovery: An Interdisciplinary Workshop on Taphonomic Approaches to Understanding Burial Practice, hosted by the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World, Brown University. April 8-10, 2011.
- Jason M. Farr (Michigan). "Re-Purposing Lapis Gabinus and Re-Imagining Gabii: the Exploitation of a Stone Resource and the Memory of a Latin City." At "Refuse and Reuse: The Challenges of Re-purposing and Re-imagining in the Ancient World", UNC/Duke Graduate Colloquium in Classics. April 1-3, 2011.
- Jeffrey A. Becker (Brown) "Digging the past, building the future: a research agenda for first millennium BC Italy", Jessica Nowlin (Brown) "Digging Digitally: New excavation recording methodologies and why they matter", and Andrew Johnston (Harvard) "The Roads at the Latin City of Gabii" discussed the Gabii Project at the symposium "The Archaeology of Italy: the State of the Field 2011" hosted by the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World, Brown University. March 18 and 19, 2011.
- Nicola Terrenato. "New excavations at Gabii: at the roots of central Italian urbanism." University of Puget Sound. January 31, 2011.
- Nicola Terrenato (University of Michigan), Jeffrey A. Becker (Brown University), Anna Gallone (Gabii Project), Marcello Mogetta (University of Michigan), and Rachel Opitz (CNRS, Besançon / University of Arkansas - CAST). "The Gabii Project: Excavations 2009-2010." 2011 annual meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America; Session 6B "Recent fieldwork in Roman Italy". Saturday, January 8, 2011; San Antonio Texas.
|Gabii Project team members in attendance at the Brown symposium (March 19, 2011)|
Presentations in 2010:
- Nicola Terrenato. "The Gabii Project". A Parlitalia lecture at the University of British Columbia. November 5, 2010.
- Jeffrey A. Becker and Jessica Nowlin. "Orientalizing Infant Tombs from Gabii, Italy: discovery, documentation, and interpretation." Joukowksy Institute Archaeology Brownbag Series, Brown University. September 23, 2010.
- Nicola Terrenato. "Survey and the Orthogonal city. At the intersection of scholarly traditions". At "Archaeological survey and the city." Laurence seminar at Cambridge University. May 25, 2010.
- Steven Kay (BSR/APSS) “Geophysical survey of the city of Gabii, Italy”. At "Archaeological survey and the city." Laurence seminar at Cambridge University. May 25, 2010.
- Jeffrey A. Becker. "The Gabii Project, 2007-2010: preliminary conclusions and future perspectives." McMaster University (March 11, 2010) and Oberlin College (April 12, 2010)
- Marcello Mogetta. "Black-gloss Rome: petites estampilles, history, and process." RAC 2010, Oxford. March 26, 2010.
- Anna Gallone et al. "Gli scavi dell'University of Michigan a Gabii." 7°Incontro di Studi sul Lazio e la Sabina. Rome, Italy. March 10, 2010.
- Nicola Terrenato. "The Gabii Project: a new excavation in a major Latin city." Department of Classics, Queen's University. Kingston, Ontario. March 3, 2010.
- 2010 annual meeting of the Archaeological Institute of America in Anaheim, California:
- Session 2G: Poster Session -- Thursday, January 7, 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM -- "The Gabii Project 2009: The First Season of Excavation." Anna Gallone (The Gabii Project), Marcello Mogetta (University of Michigan), Nicola Terrenato (University of Michigan) and Jeffrey A. Becker (McMaster University).
- Session 1E: Pre-Roman Italy -- Thursday, January 7, 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM --"Infant Burials and Emerging Social Hierarchy in Orientalizing Latium." Jeffrey A. Becker and Jessica Nowlin (Brown University).
Presentations in 2009:
- RAC 8 (Ann Arbor MI): ""Grid Cities": Latin Planned Urbanism and Roman Colonial Layouts." Marcello Mogetta (University of Michigan). April 2009.
- Anna Gallone et al. “Urbanistica Ortogonale a Gabii: Risultati delle nuove prospezioni geofisiche.” 6°Incontro di Studi sul Lazio e la Sabina; March 4-6, 2009.
- Jeffrey A. Becker, Marcello Mogetta, and Nicola Terrenato. “A new plan of an ancient Italian city: Gabii revealed.” 110th Archaeological Institute of America meeting, Philadelphia, Pa. January 10, 2009.
Presentations in 2008:
- Jeffrey A. Becker and Nicola Terrenato. “The Gabii Project: a Report on the First Season.” Poster presentation, Archaeological Institute of America 109th meeting, Chicago, Il. January 4, 2008.